Sunday 27 January 2013

The job hunt in Denmark

Or job hunting in Copenhagen. Finding work in Copenhagen. Working in Denmark. However you want to describe it, the job hunt here is a tough old game, no matter whether you are a new graduate or, like me, an experienced professional. I have networked effectively and applied to as many jobs as possible but still no luck. I'm not giving up hope, I have had enough interviews to know that I am not unemployable. The websites and other resources I have utilised are the following:

LinkedIn
Used this to extend my network, research like-minded professionals in the same field as me and see what companies they work for. Look up said company's website, apply for any jobs they have or send in a speculative application.

Jobindex
Standard jobsite

Jobzonen
Standard jobsite - have not found anything on here however that I haven't found on jobindex

Jobs In Copenhagen
Jobsite apparently for English speaking professionals however more often than not, a lot of the jobs require English and another European language. I haven't been able to apply for any jobs here.

I also apply to jobs that 'require' higher education such as a Masters (I'm educated to Bachelor level only). Having spoken to a lot of recruiters, you will be seen if you have the relevant experience - don't not apply because you don't have a Masters as I have been assured that skillset and mindset will win over this.

Still, with all the above combined I am still sitting here, having lived here for three months, a marketer with almost 8 years experience and still unemployed. Is it a cultural thing? Do I need to learn how to speak business in a Danish sense, and not in the linguistic sense? Perhaps. Well, I stumbled across the Worktrotter initiative, which is an incredibly helpful resource for the expat here in Denmark. Dagmar Fink, the founder, has written two books which look to be just what I, and many an expat, are crying out for. They've both been reviewed favourably by both expats and Danes alike.

The Worktrotter's Guide To Denmark











Business Dances With Danes













Let me know what you think, I know I will!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicola.
    I know I will say for hundreds of expats now, but I know what you mean, I've been there :(
    I'm pretty sure that your attitude will help you find a job soon. Keep being open and positive about the situation.
    I pretty much liked your approach here: "Do I need to learn how to speak business in a Danish sense, and not in the linguistic sense?" It is so true, that we need to learn lots of cultural, "Danish-like" things. I have actually read the first book you tal about and now am in the middle of the second one, which adds up so much to "The Worktrotter's Guide to Denmark" and literally introduces you to Danes at work. I find the books useful and interesting to read. Hope they'll help me in my search of job, as much as they did culture- and people -wise :)
    Good luck with your search!!
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too, Elena! I'm glad the books are working out :)

      Delete